Wednesday, April 2, 2014

The Ultimate Ultherapy Experience

Day 1: The Procedure

My name is Jeanmarie and I’m going to share my Ultherapy ® experience with anyone who is interested or curious about this new (FDA approved in 2009) dermatolological facial treatment.
Ulthera, Inc. has developed a non-invasive device that uses focused ultrasound energy to lift the skin on the face and neck. The Ultherapy ® hand piece heats the underlying tissue of the skin, in effect burning the tissue, which sets the bodies natural reaction to heal in motion. Your own collagen comes to the rescue, laying down layers which tighten those lower layers of tissue without any visible surface damage.
As a 51 year old wife and mother of 3, I want to look my best. I’m not talking 28! I know that the natural aging process has caused sagging skin which just makes me look tired all the time.
Okay, I’ll admit that when Dermatology Consultants first considered offering this treatment they called me in to be a ‘guinea pig’. Dr. Paré knows that I am game for anything new that helps us with our looks (Okay, I am vain) and that I have a pretty high tolerance for pain. It hurt!
Fast forward to September 2011….
The Ultratherapy ® machine is in place and I am ready to go! Since topical anesthesia won’t work (ultrasound is traveling too far below the surface) I am given a low dose of Zanax and a Tylenol 3.
Michelle, my trained Ultherapy ® Technician, makes me comfortable on the reclined bed and gets to work.
The hand piece looks very similar to any other applicator they use on us at Dermatology Consultants. Michelle started on my neck. The machine beeps and I feel a burning jolt in the area where the wand is touching. It’s not comfortable but not unbearable…it’s much less painful than it was when I was a tester with no medications. She explains that she’ll be making two “passes” with the wand. The first pass goes very deep and the second pass is at a slightly higher skin level. The second pass is less uncomfortable than the first pass.
We spend an hour together, first on the neck area, then the lower face, then the forehead and a little around the eyes. In all, there were some 300+ passes to my face and neck. I know that sounds like a lot, but it honestly didn’t seem like THAT many. However, I’m very glad it’s over!
Climbing off the table, I go to the mirror and I am looking better already! Really! Okay, I think that is just because there is a little underlying swelling that is plumping up my skin. I’ll take it.
I go about my day. No one notices a thing….
I’m completely amazed that I’ve just gone through a totally non-invasive, facial lifting treatment, that requires No Down Time! I have no bruises, no nothing!

Day 2

I would have completely forgotten about my Ulthera treatment but the skin on my neck is numb! It feels a little tender. I don’t feel anything good or bad on the rest of my face. All in all everything is fine post procedue. Michelle told me everything I need to know so there were no suprises. Now time to wait for the 90 days to pass.

Day 7

It’s been a week since treatment and I feel some tenderness around my neck and jaw line. A couple of days ago I had tender spots around my eyes. I looked in the mirror because it kind of feels like you might see a bruise but there is nothing visible. Occasionally I feel little twinges in my face. I think it’s just those lower layers healing.
I think I look pretty good! I know that the real results take time. The body should be laying down collagen for a good 3 to 4 months. I’m so excited! I’m very hopeful that you’ll be seeing some better looking pictures of me. Lordy, they’ll have to be. YIKES!!

Day 30

It’s been 4 weeks since Ulthera, and I have to say that I think I look better. I can see a subtle difference in my cheeks and neck. I went to NY for a 50th birthday party and had a few close girlfriends ask me what I was “using” on my face. I don’t think my moisturizer prompted that question!
I’m going in to see our dear friend, Dr. Paré. The latest studies have suggested that fillers are a very effective accompaniment with Ulthera if injected during the healing process. As I should be halfway healed, now is the time! I’ll let you know….

Final Update!

It’s been several months since I completed Ulthera and I have to say that I’ve been VERY HAPPY with the results. Honestly, the changes are so gradual that you really don’t notice them much yourself, but boy do your friends notice! I’ve been asked repeatedly, “What are you using on your skin?”, “Your skin looks great!”. Please don’t be put off by my beautiful before and after pictures. Keep in mind that these pics are taken with NO makeup and in clinical light. Honestly, I look better in person…I promise.
I think one of the greatest benefits of Ultherapy is the total lack of downtime. The most inconvenience was the drive to the office and the discomfort during the procedure. I’ll take that any day to the cost and inconvenience of traditional surgery.
If any of you are having any doubts, call me!
We want to thank Jeanmarie for blogging for us on her experience with Ultherapy! We hope reading about her journey will help give our patients better insight to what this procedure is all about. Below are some before and after photos to show you what Ultherapy can do for you!


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi fellas,
    Thank you so much for this wonderful article really!
    If someone want to read more about that Cheek Fillers Newport Beach I think this is the right place for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete